- Title: 12 inmates killed in prison shootout near Panama City
- Date: 18th December 2019
- Summary: PANAMA CITY, PANAMA (DECEMBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) FAMILY MEMBERS OF PRISONERS OUTSIDE MORGUE WAITING ON INFORMATION ABOUT THEIR LOVED ONES SIGN READING (Spanish) "JUDICIAL MORGUE" FAMILY MEMBERS WAITING VARIOUS, MORGUE VEHICLE FAMILY MEMBERS MORGUE VEHICLE FAMILY MEMBERS AT MORGUE ENTRANCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FAMILY MEMBER OF A PRISONER, YAMILET MUÃ‘OZ, SAYING: "They haven't told me anything yet, but I'm taking it seriously [JOURNALIST ASKS: YOU DON'T KNOW IF HE'S ALIVE OR DEAD?] No, we don't know if he's alive or dead, we don't know anything." POLICE ENTERING MORGUE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FAMILY MEMBER OF A PRISONER, YAMILET MUÃ‘OZ, SAYING: "[JOURNALIST ASKS WHERE THE WEAPONS CAME FROM] The guards, they're the ones who supplied them, because the family members can't go in with weapons, it's them (the guards)." PEOPLE AT MORGUE ENTRANCE MORGUE EXTERIOR
- Embargoed: 1st January 2020 23:18
- Keywords: Panama Panamanian President Laurentino Cortizo family guns killed prison prisoners riot shooting
- Location: PANAMA CITY, PANAMA
- City: PANAMA CITY, PANAMA
- Country: Panama
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAI875Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least 12 people were killed and another 13 were injured during a shootout among inmates at a jail near Panama City on Tuesday (December 17), officials said.
Police said they seized several guns in the incident at La Joyita prison, 16 miles (25 km) east of the capital, including five handguns and three long-barrelled firearms.
President Laurentino Cortizo, who took office in July, said there would be consequences for those guarding the prisoners.
Police official Alexis Munoz said the shooting originated from within the jail, where inmates are grouped according to gang affiliations to avoid confrontations, and that the cause was being investigated.
(Production: Abraham Teran, Manuel Carrillo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None