- Title: Indian police detain protesters against citizenship law as ban imposed
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 19, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) HISTORIC RED FORT SEEN AMID FOG/POLICEMEN STANDING POLICEMEN ON GUARD RED FORT/POLICEMEN STANDING POLICE PERSONNEL STANDING PROTESTERS AND SECURITY PERSONNEL STANDING AS VEHICLES PASS BY POLICEMEN PLACING BARRICADES ON ROAD PROTESTERS BEING TAKEN BY POLICEMEN VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS AND POLICEMEN STANDING PROTESTERS BEING TAKEN BY POLICEMEN PROTESTERS STANDING IN QUEUE PROTESTER ARGUING WITH POLICEMEN AS HE IS TAKEN INSIDE A BUS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) REGIONAL LEADER AND ACTIVIST, YOGENDRA YADAV, SAYING: "This CAA (Citizenship Amendment Act), this law, this amendment is against the (Indian) Constitution. It is illegal; this is against the spirit of independence of our country." PROTESTERS GATHERED AS POLICEMEN WALK PROTESTERS STANDING PROTESTERS GATHERED PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS AS POLICE PERSONNEL TRY TO CONTROL THEM (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) PROTESTER, MIYAN, saying: "Equality is being sidelined. Different things are being talked about instead of a law that should be for everyone." BENGALURU, KARNATAKA, INDIA (DECEMBER 19, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PLACARDS IN HANDS OF PROTESTERS READING (English): 'SAFEGUARDING OUR CONSTITUTION IS AN EXPRESSION OF PATRIOTISM- CPIM'/ 'NO CITIZENSHIP ON THE BASIS OF RELIGION-CPIM'/PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS PLACARDS IN HANDS OF PROTESTERS/PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS VARIOUS OF POLICEMEN DETAINING PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICIALS TAKING AWAY PROTESTERS PROTESTER BEING LIFTED AND BEING TAKEN IN A VEHICLE PROTESTER, CHITRA, RAISING SLOGANS (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROTESTER, CHITRA, SAYING: "They (government) are fearing the people, that's the reason (for people getting detained). We don't fear anyone. It's our right to live here Reporter Asking- What is your demand right now? It's a violation of secularism. We should maintain, we should retain democracy here that's why we are here." CHANDIGARH, INDIA (DECEMBER 19, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PROTESTERS SITTING HOLDING PLACARDS VARIOUS OF BANNER IN HANDS OF PROTESTERS READING (English): 'PROTEST AGAINST CAA AND NRC'/PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS POSTER IN HANDS OF PROTESTER READING (English): 'REJECT CAB BOYCOTT NRC' PROTESTERS WITH PLACARDS SITTING
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 07:59
- Keywords: Bengaluru Citizenship Amendment Act India Muslims Narendra Modi New Delhi Red Fort detain police protests security
- Location: NEW DELHI/ BENGALURU, KARNATAKA/ CHANDIGARH, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI/ BENGALURU, KARNATAKA/ CHANDIGARH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAN4SI7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Police in New Delhi detained dozens of people protesting a new citizenship law that is seen as anti-Muslim as they began to gather in front of the Indian capital's historic Red Fort, in defiance of a ban on public gatherings on Thursday (December 19).
Citing law and order concerns following violent protests against the law during the past week, officials said authorities imposed bans on Thursday in parts of the capital and two big states.
Police in Uttar Pradesh, a northern state that is India's most populous, also declared a ban on protests. In the southern state of Karnataka, whose capital Bengaluru is home to many multinational technology companies, a ban was placed until December 21.
In Delhi, students, politicians and rights activists had called for a peaceful demonstration at the Red Fort against the legislation pushed through by the country's Hindu nationalist government a week ago.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has dug his heels in over the law that lays out a path for people from minority religions in neighbouring Muslim countries - Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan - who had settled in India before 2015 to obtain Indian citizenship.
In August, the government took away Muslim majority Kashmir's autonomy and later the Supreme Court cleared the way for the construction of a Hindu temple on a site disputed by Muslims, and had been a flashpoint for years.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None