- Title: Hundreds in Barcelona demand release of jailed Junqueras
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: WOMAN CARRYING BANNER WITH PICTURE OF ORIOL JUNQUERAS AND READING (Catalan): "IN EUROPE, RIGHTS AND FREEDOM"
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 19:44
- Keywords: Catalonia EU court ruling on immunity Oriol Junqueras Spain independence
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA002BAN8EVB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Dozens of Catalan separatists took to the streets in Barcelona on Thursday (December 19) to demand the release of jailed leader Oriol Junqueras after the EU's top court ruled he was entitled to immunity as a member of the European Parliament, in a decision that could have political and legal repercussions in Europe and Spain.
Oriol Junqueras was jailed for 13 years in October for his role in a 2017 Catalan independence referendum that was deemed illegal by Spanish courts. He was elected an MEP while in prison awaiting the verdict, and has not been able to take up his seat.
But the EU court ruled anyone elected to the European Parliament "enjoys immunities" to travel and take part in parliamentary sessions and an MEP cannot be subject to detention or legal proceedings because of views expressed or votes cast.
The immunity does not, however, apply to an MEP who has committed an offence. The Spanish Supreme Court, which had referred the case to the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU), must now decide how to comply with the verdict.
(Production: Luis Felipe Fernandez, Marco Trujillo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.