- Title: Bollywoodâ€™s Farhan Akhtar joins thousands to protest citizenship law in Mumbai
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (DECEMBER 19, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WITH INDIAN NATIONAL FLAGS AND PLACARDS RAISING SLOGANS INDIAN ACTOR AND POLITICIAN RAJ BABBAR WALKING AND GREETING PEOPLE MUSICAL PERFORMANCE UNDERWAY PROTESTERS WITH INDIAN NATIONAL FLAGS CLAPPING
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 17:39
- Keywords: Bollywood Citizenship Amendment Act Farhan Akhtar India Mumbai protests
- Location: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- City: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAN7SR3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Indian actor Farhan Akhtar joined more than 5,000 protesters in India's financial capital Mumbai on Thursday (December 19) to raise their voice against a new citizenship law based on religion.
"I subscribe to the view that there seems to be a certain amount of discrimination in what is being planned and what is happening," Akhtar said.
Public anger and staunch opposition from political parties over the new legislation widely considered to be discriminatory towards Muslims has flared across the country.
Marches and rallies organized by college students, academicians, and minority Muslim groups and opposition parties against the law passed by the Hindu nationalist government persisted despite legal moves to stifle them.
The government says the Citizenship Amendment Act is required to help non-Muslim minorities from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan who came to India before 2015 by granting them Indian nationality.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None