- Title: India police use tear gas, water cannon, sticks on citizenship law protesters
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: AHMEDABAD, GUJARAT, INDIA (DECEMBER 19, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (NIGHT SHOTS) POLICE PERSONNEL GATHERED POLICE PERSONNEL CHARGING WITH STICKS POLICE PERSONNEL GATHERED, SMOKE IN THE AIR POLICE PERSONNEL FIRING TEAR GAS SHELLS AHMEDABAD, GUJARAT, INDIA (DECEMBER 19, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PROTESTERS WALKING
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 16:53
- Keywords: Ahmedabad Citizenship Amendment Act Gujarat India Mangaluru Narendra Modi mass protests police sticks tear gas water cannons
- Location: AHMEDABAD, GUJARAT/MANGALURU, KARNATAKA/THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA
- City: AHMEDABAD, GUJARAT/MANGALURU, KARNATAKA/THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAN7QDR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Demonstrators hurled stones and police fired tear gas shells and used water cannons in street battles in parts of India as protests against a new citizenship saw a dramatic escalation on Thursday (December 19).
Some protesters clashed with police over the law, passed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Hindu nationalist government that critics say is discriminatory against Muslims and undermines India's secular constitution.
Police detained hundreds of people in the capital Delhi and the southern city of Mangaluru and Bengaluru and shut down the internet in some districts to help pre-empt large planned protests.
College students, academics, minority Muslim groups and opposition parties have been prominent in an escalating series of street protests now in their second week.
The government says the Citizenship Amendment Act is required to help non-Muslim minorities from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan who came to India before 2015 by granting them Indian nationality.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None