- Title: Hong Kong protesters march to consulates to drum up support on rights
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (DECEMBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HANDING PETITION TO REPRESENTATIVE OF BRITISH CONSULATE IN HONG KONG PETITION WITH PLACARD READING (English): "FIGHT FOR FREEDOM, STAND WITH HONG KONG" PROTESTERS HANDING PETITION TO REPRESENTATIVE OF BRITISH CONSULATE IN HONG KONG REPRESENTATIVE RETURNING INSIDE BRITISH CONSULATE IN HONG KONG EMBLEM OF BRITISH CONSULATE IN HONG KONG VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING PAST BRITISH CONSULATE IN HONG KONG (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROTESTER, JACEY KAN, SAYING: "We are here today to deliver the message that we want the support from the general consulates to study and proceed on the Human Rights Act concerning the situations in Hong Kong, first. And second, we want to hand in a petition letter which urges the U.N. special rapporteur to come to Hong Kong to examine the gender violence committed by the Hong Kong police during the movement." U.S. CONSULATE IN HONG KONG VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING PAST U.S. CONSULATE IN HONG KONG FLAGS / PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SHOUTING SLOGANS WHILE HOLDING HAND UP (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) PROTESTER, MANDY WU, SAYING: "Firstly, we came to the U.S. consulate to thank them for passing the Hong Kong human rights and democracy act. We will also go to other countries' consulates. We hope other countries can also voice out for Hong Kong and implement some sanctions on police brutality or anything that violate human rights. So we are here with an attitude of gratitude towards the U.S. and also urge other consulates to follow the U.S. to voice out for Hong Kong." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS AT BUILDING HOUSING AUSTRALIAN CONSULATE IN HONG KONG RIOT POLICE STANDING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING PAST RIOT POLICE
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 10:46
- Keywords: British Consulate China Hong Kong human rights protest
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAN3LTZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong protesters rallied outside diplomatic missions on Thursday (December 19) to urge foreign governments to follow the United States in passing human rights bills to raise pressure on Beijing and support their pro-democracy campaign.
Last month, U.S. President Donald Trump signed congressional legislation requiring the State Department to certify, at least once a year, that Hong Kong retains enough autonomy from Beijing to justify favourable U.S. trading terms.
About 1,000 people, most of them dressed in black and wearing face masks, marched on a route that took them by the consulates of Australia, Britain, the European Union, the United States, Japan and Canada, to drop off a petition.
Anti-government protests have roiled the financial hub for more than six months as anger grows over what many see as Chinese meddling in the freedoms promised to the former British colony when it returned to Chinese rule in 1997.
Beijing has blamed the unrest on "foreign forces" and said attempts to interfere in the Chinese-ruled city were doomed to fail.
(Production: Mehmet Caliskan, Ronn Bautista)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None