- Title: 'The revolution continues': Sudanese celebrate uprising anniversary
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: KHARTOUM, SUDAN (DECEMBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS MARCHING, WAVING FLAGS, CHANTING, ONE BANGING ON A PLASTIC BOTTLE PROTESTERS MARCHING, CHANTING PROTESTERS MARCHING, WAVING FLAGS, HOLDING ARMS IN AIR, CHANTING (Arabic): "CIVILIAN" PROTESTERS STANDING, WAVING FLAGS, CHANTING (Arabic): "CIVILIAN" PROTESTERS WAVING FLAGS PROTESTERS STANDING ON PLATFORM WAVING FLAGS AND CHANTING, BANNER DRAPED ON PLATFORM READING (Arabic): "THE REVOLUTION CONTINUES" PROTESTERS ON PLATFORM WAVING FLAGS, CHANTING (Arabic): "CIVILIAN" PROTESTERS WAVING FLAGS PROTESTERS SITTING ON MOVING CARS, WAVING FLAGS
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 20:22
- Keywords: Sudan Sudan anniversary Sudan protest protest protest anniversary
- Location: KHARTOUM, SUDAN
- City: KHARTOUM, SUDAN
- Country: Sudan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAN8LZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: QUALITY AS INCOMING
Hundreds of thousands of people marched in cities across Sudan on Thursday (December 19) to celebrate the first anniversary of the start of the uprising that toppled long-time ruler Omar al-Bashir and demand justice for people killed in protests.
Waving national flags and chanting slogans, marchers vowed to press on with the political transition that stemmed from the protests. The demonstrations began on December 19 last year in the city of Atbara, and led to the military deposing Bashir on April 11.
A Sudanese court on Saturday convicted Bashir on corruption charges and sentenced him to two years of detention in a reform facility, the first ruling against the former president.
The authorities now governing under a three-year power-sharing agreement between the military and former opposition and protest groups are under pressure to do more to address economic and political problems, restore the rule of law and protect human rights.
The public prosecutor's office said on Thursday it was investigating more than 400 corruption cases and that it was committed to investigating "all those who committed violations and all those who wasted the blood of martyrs."
(Production: Nadeen Ebrahim, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None