- Title: China's Xi praises unity with Macau ahead of 20th handover anniversary
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: MACAU, CHINA (DECEMBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) GUESTS STANDING UP AS CHINESE PRESIDENT XI JINPING ARRIVES XI ARRIVING IN DINNER HALL XI SITTING DOWN WITH HIS WIFE PENG LIYUAN MACAU'S NEWLY ELECTED CHIEF EXECUTIVE HO LAT SENG SITTING AT TABLE (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE PRESIDENT, XI JINPING, SAYING: "The SAR's (Special Administration Region) government and the people in Macau's society know fully well that the future is closely linked with the future of the motherland. They cherish a strong sense of national identity and patriotism, and the idea that love for the motherland and the love for Macau are nothing but the same." GUESTS SITTING AROUND TABLE (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINA'S PRESIDENT, XI JINPING, SAYING: "An atmosphere of inclusiveness and harmony has strengthened social cohesion. The SAR's government and people across Macau's society know full well that 'a family of harmony and prosperity' and a friendly relationship brings good fortune. In practice, they have chosen unity and negotiation over contention and infighting and rejected all sorts of disturbances from the outside." GUESTS SITTING, TALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINA'S PRESIDENT, XI JINPING, SAYING: "To the prosperity of our country and the great renewal of the Chinese nation. To the remarkable achievements Macau has made since returning to the motherland. To an even brighter tomorrow for Macau and to the health of all the friends present and your families, cheers!" / XI TOASTING WITH WINE GLASS XI TOASTING WITH HIS WIFE AND HO LAT SENG
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 13:37
- Keywords: 20 anniversary China Macau Macau anniversary Macau handover anniversary Xi Jinping
- Location: MACAU, CHINA
- City: MACAU, CHINA
- Country: Macau
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAN3HVR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: China President Xi Jinping toasted to the prosperity of Macau on Thursday (December 19), drawing a contrast with the Hong Kong protests, as the gambling hub celebrated its 20th anniversary of handover to Chinese rule.
Speaking at a welcome dinner on the second day of his three day trip, Xi said that Macau had chosen unity and negotiation over contention, alluding to a wave of anti-democracy protests have swept through Hong Kong.
Hong Kong has been rattled for more than six months by anti-government protests amid growing anger over what many see as Chinese meddling in the freedoms promised to the former British colony when it returned to Chinese rule in 1997.
Beijing has denied such meddling, blaming the unrest on "foreign forces" and saying attempts to interfere in the city are doomed to fail.
On Friday (December 20) Xi is due to attend ceremonies for the 20th anniversary of Macau's handover to China and expected to announce economic perks as a reward for its stability and loyalty.
(Production: Yoyo Chow, Joyce Zhou, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None