- Title: Beatles fans: immersive Sgt Pepper experience "incredible"
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (DECEMBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) SIGN READING (English): "SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND: THE IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE" / PHOTOS OF BEATLES VARIOUS OF PEOPLE QUEUING FOR IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE PEOPLE BEING ALLOWED INTO IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE SIGN READING (English): "SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND: THE IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE" / PHOTOS OF BEATLES (SOUNDBITE) (English) ATTENDEE, GARY MCQUEEN, FROM FORMBY, SAYING: "They play the whole of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band from the beginning to the very end using this brand new what's it called, Dolby technology. I can't believe that it was just coming out of two speakers, absolutely just like...It's as if the sound's flying round your head and it hits you in the chest." EXTERIOR OF VENUE ON ALBERT DOCK (SOUNDBITE) (English) ATTENDEE, DAVIK, FROM COVENTRY, SAYING: "So I've just been to see remixing of Sgt. Pepper's album end to end by George Martin's son in the new Dolby technology that makes it fly all around your head and everything. It was incredible. I don't know if I'll ever be able to listen to the album again, to be honest, because without it being like that, it was just... You hear so much that you would never have heard in it before. Just absolutely incredible."
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 15:54
- Keywords: Abbey Road Dolby Dolby Atmos Giles Martin Liverpool Sgt Pepper The Beatles album experience immersive record remix
- Location: LIVERPOOL AND LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / VARIOUS FILMING LOCATIONS
- City: LIVERPOOL AND LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / VARIOUS FILMING LOCATIONS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAN7PLL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:It's wonderful to be here, it's certainly a thrill: Beatles fans described an immersive Sgt Pepper's listening experience as "incredible" on Thursday (December 19).
Tickets for the sessions sold out in mere minutes when launched, despite the lack of visual stimulus - fans are simply led into a darkened room to hear the classic record presented on an immersive Dolby Atmos speaker system. After being seated, the lights go down and the album begins.
"It's as if the sound's flying round your head and it hits you in the chest," fan Gary McQueen from nearby Formby said.
The version played out to create the "3-D" sound is the 2017 remix of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club band by Giles Martin, son of Beatles producer George Martin.
"You kind of switch off and you engage, a bit like reading a book. You engage a different part of your brain. And I think Sgt Pepper, more than any other album, engaged more of your brain because there's so much visual, visual content in what you hear," Giles told Reuters on Tuesday on the immersive listening experience.
The production is free for those who secure a ticket and is set to run until January 9, 2020.
(Production: Gerry Mey, Phil Noble, Tara Oakes)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None