- Title: Assange supporters protest outside court as extradition hearing takes place
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: PROTESTER HOLDING POSTCARD SHOWING PHOTOGRAPH OF ASSANGE AND WORDS READING (English): "THIS CHRISTMAS JOURNALISM IS ON TRIAL DON'T EXTRADITE JULIAN ASSANGE"
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 12:20
- Keywords: extradition case hearing julian assange protesters supporters westminster magistrate court wikileaks
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA002BAN787B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protesters chanted outside Westminster Magistrate Court in support of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange as a hearing in the case of his extradition to the United States took place on Thursday (December 19).
Assange, 48, who spent seven years holed up in Ecuador's embassy before he was dragged out in April, faces 18 counts in the United States including conspiring to hack government computers and violating an espionage law.
He could spend decades in prison if convicted.
Assange appeared by videolink from prison and is due to be interviewed by a Spanish judge when he appears in person at the same London court for a private hearing on Friday over the allegations.
(Production: Gerry Mey, Dina Selim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.