- Title: Argentines protest new Fernandez government and economic measures
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: SIGN WITH A PICTURES OF EX BOLIVIAN PRESIDENT EVO MORALES READING "EVO MORALES GET OUT OF ARGENTINA"
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 01:12
- Keywords: Argentina Buenos Aires President Alberto Fernandez crisis protest
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002BAI8LDZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Some 2,000 people protested this Wednesday (December 18) outside the Argentina Congress to reject the economic measures recently announced by the president of the South American nation, Alberto Fernandez.
With flags, pots and slogans, protesters gathered in the afternoon at the capitol building, while lawmakers debated the economic emergency law.
Fernandez's administration has already announced plans to hike taxes on farm products, Argentina's main export, and to bring back a so-called "tourist tax" on overseas expenditure. It will also cut drug prices in agreement with industry.
Fernandez, who took office last week after beating conservative Mauricio Macri in an October ballot, is grappling with annual inflation close to 55% and an economy that is expected to contract for a third straight year in 2020.
(Production: Miguel Lo Bianco, Claudia Martini)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.