- Title: Russia's Putin says WADA four-year doping ban 'not justified'
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (DECEMBER 19, 2019) (RUSSIAN POOL) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN GIVING ANNUAL NEWS CONFERENCE, JOURNALISTS RAISING PLACARDS TO ASK QUESTION JOURNALIST ASKING QUESTION (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "I think that it's not only unfair, the decision also lacks common sense and justice." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "WADA now has no complaints against our national Olympic Committee, therefore, the national team should compete under its own flag." PUTIN SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "Regarding doping, decisions about doping were taken in relation to the participation of our athletes under a neutral flag at the previous Olympics. Now for the same thing, (CONTINUES OVER JOURNALISTS) the decision was taken again. There has never been anything like this in any legal system in the world in the history of humanity, and I hope there will nothing like that (again). (CONTINUES OVER WIDE SHOT) This is the first thing. Secondly, any punishment should be given on an individual basis." JOURNALISTS HOLDING SIGNS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "I think that everything I've said means that there is every reason to believe that unfortunately this (CONTINUES OVER AUDIENCE) decision is once again politically motivated." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "(STARTS WIDE SHOT) WADA has not forbidden us from holding (CONTINUES OVER PUTIN IN SHOT) these competitions, let's read carefully what's written there. They recommend the international federations not to hold (these events). Let's say, the Football World Cup, the (UEFA) European Championship, will take place anyway. I recently met with the manager of this organisation and he told me that the tickets had been sold out. They're sold out, who's going to return them? (CONTINUES OVER JOURNALIST) WADA won't refund tickets. It's nonsense." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "You know, (CONTINUES OVER JOURNALIST) I think we need calmly to wait for the relevant decisions, including the decision (CONTINUES OVER PUTIN IN SHOT) by the court of arbitration, then we'll understand where we are, but Russian athletes have been training and will continue to train for all the competitions. Our guys are great and (CONTINUES OVER AUDIENCE WIDE SHOT) they will make us proud many times with their magnificent achievements victories." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 10:15
- Keywords: Olympic ban Putin Putin's annual news conference Russia Vladimir Putin WADA athletes doping ban sports
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAN65HJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday (December 19) the World Anti-Doping Agency's (WADA) four-year ban for Russia from international sporting competitions for doping was not justified.
He said bans should be handed out on an individual, not collective, basis. Putin said the decision was political and not fair.
He made the comments during his annual press conference. About 1,900 journalists from Russia and abroad have been accredited to attend the event, according to the state TV channel Russia 24.
In 2018, it took almost four hours for Putin to answer reporters' questions.
(Production: Maria Vasilyeva, Peter Scott)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None