- Title: Suspects in Slovak journalist's killing to face trial in January
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: PEOPLE WALKING IN PROTEST CARRYING PHOTOGRAPHS OF KUCIAK AND KUSNIROVA
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 12:03
- Keywords: Jan Kuciak Marian Kocner investigative journalist murdered start of murder trial
- Location: PEZINOK, BRATISLAVA AND STIAVNIK, SLOVAKIA
- City: PEZINOK, BRATISLAVA AND STIAVNIK, SLOVAKIA
- Country: Slovakia
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA003BAN6TZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Four suspects in the murders of a Slovak investigative journalist and his fiancee will go on trial in January after judges ruled on Thursday (December 19) that there was enough evidence to proceed.
Jan Kuciak and Martina Kusnirova, both 27, were gunned down in their house outside the capital Bratislava in February 2018, triggering mass protests against corruption.
Prosecutors say entrepreneur Marian Kocner, a subject of Kuciak's reporting on fraud cases involving politically connected businessmen, had ordered his killing.
Kuciak's father Jozef Kuciak, who was present at the preliminary hearing, told journalists he hoped justice would be served.
The murders stoked widespread public anger and forced Prime Minister Robert Fico to resign. His ruling Smer party faces a tight election on February 29.
The case is a test of Slovak judicial independence given that the investigation exposed links between Kocner and police and public officials.
(Production: Jiri Skacel, Lewis Macdonald)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.