- Title: Catalan regional leader found guilty of disobedience - court
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (FILE - NOVEMBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TORRA LEAVING COURT WITH HIS WIFE AS SEPARATISTS OUTSIDE THE COURT CHEER IN SUPPORT
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 10:55
- Keywords: Catalonia Quim Torra Spain disobedience independence yellow ribbons court case
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA002BAN7FBB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The leader of Catalonia's regional government has been found guilty of disobedience and sentenced to an 18-month ban on holding public office, the region's highest court said on Thursday (December 19).
The sentence, which stems from Quim Torra's refusal to follow orders from Spain's electoral committee, is open to appeal, meaning the ban on holding office, if upheld, could take months to come into force.
The court also imposed a fine on Torra of around 30,000 euros ($33,066).
Torra was tried for disobedience after he failed to obey an order to remove separatist propaganda from public offices during election campaigning.
During campaigning for national and local elections in April and May regional leaders were required to remove partisan messages from public offices. But Torra continued to display yellow ribbons - a protest against the jailing of Catalan independence leaders - from government buildings.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None