- Title: Arteta unveiled as Arsenal manager
- Date: 20th December 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (DECEMBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF "WELCOME BACK MIKEL" ON EMIRATES STADIUM BIG SCREEN CAMERA LENS NEW ARSENAL MANAGER, MIKEL ARTETA, WALKING OUT ONTO THE EMIRATES STADIUM PITCH ARTETA HOLDING ARSENAL SHIRT ARTETA POSING FOR PHOTOS ARTETA WALKING ON PITCH VARIOUS OF ARTETA POSING FOR PHOTOS BY GOAL AREA ARTETA PLACING A BALL ON THE PITCH ARTETA WALKING OFF THE PITCH
- Embargoed: 3rd January 2020 19:20
- Keywords: Arsenal Emirates Mikel Arteta Premier League
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAS7J27
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: New Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta said he was confident he would have the London club challenging for top honours again and asked for patience after being appointed head coach on a 3-1/2 year contract on Friday (December 20).
Arteta, who made 149 appearances for Arsenal between 2011 and 2016 before joining Manchester City's coaching staff as Pep Guardiola's assistant, replaces fellow Spaniard Unai Emery at the Emirates Stadium.
Arsenal are 10th in the Premier League table, seven points behind fourth-placed Chelsea, after five victories in 17 matches this season and travel to 16th-placed Everton for Saturday's (December 21) early kickoff.
Emery was sacked last month after Arsenal's 2-1 Europa League home defeat by Eintracht Frankfurt which extended their winless run in all competitions to seven games, their worst streak since February 1992 under George Graham.
Arteta, who has never managed a club before, was named by British media as one of the candidates in the running to replace former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger in 2018 before the club appointed Emery.
The 37-year-old has enjoyed great success at City, assisting Pep Guardiola as he guided the club to successive league titles.
(Production: Gerry Mey, Oliver Regan, Stefan Haskins)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None