- Title: Arsenal fans hopeful over Arteta appointment
- Date: 20th December 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (DECEMBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF THE EMIRATES STADIUM SIGN, READING: "ARSENAL" ARSENAL LOGO ON EXTERIOR OF STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) ARSENAL FAN, MARK MULZ, SAYING: "It's a big job but I think he has the knowledge and he will have a good connection with the players and the staff around from him being here before. He's a younger coach but I think he'll implement a good system for the squad." MAN CARRYING BAG WITH ARSENAL LOGO ON IT (SOUNDBITE) (English) ARSENAL FAN, LOIC RECHT, SAYING: "Let's give it a go and see how it goes, it can't be any worse than now! At least hopefully we are going to have exciting football back and let's see how it goes after that." EXTERIOR OF THE EMIRATES STADIUM SIGN, READING "OFFICE" WITH ARSENAL LOGO / ANOTHER SIGN, READING: "EMIRATES" (SOUNDBITE) (English) ARSENAL FAN, RYAN MADDEN, SAYING: "I didn't think our board would take such a massive risk but they've gone for it and I think he wouldn't have took the job on if he wasn't going to get backed by the club. I think he's got a lot of egos to deal with in that club and if he's going to succeed I think he's got to be ruthless. He's just got to get them playing as a team because at the moment they are playing as a team of individuals, they are not playing for the badge which is what the fans ultimately want to see." VARIOUS OF CANONS OUTSIDE STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) ARSENAL FAN, BIG STRICTO, SAYING: "I threw my season ticket away, I didn't want to be here, I didn't want to watch anything associated with the club. It's been a downhill spiral with the board and obviously now we've got Mikel Arteta. I still think it's the cheaper option, I still think there are a lot more experienced managers but then again saying that (Unai) Emery was an experienced proven manager proven to be rubbish. At least Arteta is coming from a place with a winning mentality, a place where there's great football. He's done a lot of coaching at City and this could really benefit us." PERSON WALKING PAST BOX OFFICE ARSENAL LOGO ON EXTERIOR OF STADIUM
- Embargoed: 3rd January 2020 16:23
- Keywords: Arsenal Arteta Arsenal head coach Mike Arteta Premier League the Emirates Stadium
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAS6O8V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Arsenal fans were hopeful rather than excited about the announcement of Mikel Arteta as the new manager of the club on Friday (December 20).
Arteta, who played for Arsenal under Arsene Wenger, returns after three seasons spent as Pep Guardiola's assistant during a trophy-laden spell at Manchester City.
Speaking to Reuters outside the Emirates Stadium, one Arsenal fan Loic Recht said his appointment couldn't make things 'worse than they are now' and that hopefully the Spaniard would bring 'exciting football' back to the club.
Another fan, Ryan Madden, was surprised the club took 'a massive risk' on an unproven manager and believed Arteta would have to be 'ruthless' in dealing with 'egos' if he is to succeed.
Arteta said he was confident he would have the London club challenging for top honours again and asked for patience after being appointed head coach on a 3-1/2 year contract.
Arteta, who made 149 appearances for Arsenal between 2011 and 2016 before joining Manchester City's coaching staff as Pep Guardiola's assistant, replaces fellow Spaniard Unai Emery at the Emirates Stadium.
Arsenal are 10th in the Premier League table, seven points behind fourth-placed Chelsea, after five victories in 17 matches this season and travel to 16th-placed Everton for Saturday's early kickoff.
Emery was sacked last month after Arsenal's 2-1 Europa League home defeat by Eintracht Frankfurt which extended their winless run in all competitions to seven games, their worst streak since February 1992 under George Graham.
(Production: Gerry Mey / Oliver Regan / Francis Maguire)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None