- Title: Thousands protest citizenship law outside of Delhi mosque
- Date: 20th December 2019
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) CROWDS PROTESTING OUTSIDE OF JAMA MASJID MOSQUE PROTESTERS GATHERED AROUND MOSQUE ENTRANCE PROTESTERS WAVING FLAGS AND CHANTING POLICE OFFICER SHOOING MUSLIM MAN AWAY VARIOUS OF SECURITY ON DUTY CROWDS PROTESTING OUTSIDE OF JAMA MASJID MOSQUE
- Embargoed: 3rd January 2020 11:21
- Keywords: Friday prayers India Jama Masjid mosque citizenship law civil unrest protests
- Location: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAS3O07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Thousands protested a controversial citizenship law outside of a major mosque in the Indian capital of New Delhi on Friday (December 20) as authorities stepped up efforts to crack down on growing protests across the country.
Authorities have shut down the internet in parts of northern India and imposed curfews in a southern city after two people died in clashes between police and protesters.
Protests heated up outside of Jama Masjid, one of the largest in the country, just after Friday prayers, as people chanted and waved Indian national flags. Police had noticeably beefed up security around the area just before prayers.
The new law makes it easier for people from non-Muslim minorities in Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan who settled in India prior to 2015 to obtain Indian citizenship. Critics say the exclusion of Muslims is discriminatory, and the award of citizenship based on religion undermines India's secular constitution.
(Production: Danish Siddiqui, Arshad Satikin, Joseph Campbell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None