- Title: U.S. foreign policy under Trump's administration 2017-2018.
- Date: 18th December 2019
- Summary: After U.S. solar tariff, China calls protectionism a double-edged sword. BEIJING, CHINA (FILE - JANUARY 24, 2018) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINA'S FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN, HUA CHUNYING, SAYING: "Trade protectionism is a double-edged sword, which not only wounds others but wounds themselves at the same time. I don't know if the so-called 'legendary and invulnerable soft gold-silk armour' does exist in this world and can enable a country to wield a big stick of trade protectionism over other countries without being scathed."
- Embargoed: 1st January 2020 18:36
- Keywords: Ali Khamenei Brexit COP24 Caravan China Chinese president Congress EU Emmanuel Macron G20 Guatemala. Honduras Iran Iran leader Jerusalem Macron Mexico Netanyahu North Korea Nuclear Republicans Rouhani Russia Saudi Arabia Theresa May Trump UK Vladimir Putin Xi Xi Jingpin alliances climate change detention center foreign policy foreign relations global warming immigrants nuclear deal sanctions tariffs trade war
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA014BAJ0C3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: FOREIGN POLICY CONTINUES IN EDIT: 0465-USA-TRUMP/FOREIGN POLICY 2018-PART 1 AND 0467-USA-TRUMP/FOREIGN POLICY 2018-PART 3
Donald Trump assumed the office of the President of the United States with a pledge to "make America great again."
Half-way through his first term, Trump claims that task has been accomplished, telling audiences at any of his frequent political pep rallies that "our country is respected again all over the world".
But, in the arena of U.S. foreign policy, whether Trump has engineered a solidification of America's position in the world, or whether he has weakened America's status as the pre-eminent global economic, military, and moral force, is a question that is sharply debated within America's fractious politics.
Few disputes, however, that whatever Donald Trump is doing in his foreign policy, it is unlike the way any previous U.S. president operated on the global stage.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None