- Title: ICC to investigate alleged war crimes in Palestinian Territories
- Date: 20th December 2019
- Summary: THE HAGUE, THE NETHERLANDS (FILE - JULY 6, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF THE INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT
- Embargoed: 3rd January 2020 15:33
- Keywords: Bensouda East Jerusalem Election Gantz Gaza Strip ICC International Criminal Court Investigation Israel Netanyahu Palestine Palestinian Territories Prosecutor Violence West Bank war crime
- Location: THE HAGUE, THE NETHERLANDS
- City: THE HAGUE, THE NETHERLANDS
- Country: Netherlands
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA002BAS7BYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The International Criminal Court's chief prosecutor said on Friday (December 20) she wants to launch a full investigation into alleged war crimes in the Palestinian Territories, which could include charges against Israelis or Palestinians.
Fatou Bensouda said the preliminary examination into alleged war crimes, opened in 2015, had rendered enough information to meet all criteria for opening an investigation.
The ICC has the authority to hear cases of war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity committed on the territory of the 123 countries that have signed up to it.
Israel has not joined the court but the Palestinian Authority - a limited self-rule body in the Israeli-occupied West Bank - has done so.
Bensouda said that because the Palestinian Territories had requested the intervention of the court, she did not need to request approval from judges to start an investigation.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None