- Title: Police detain scores in Delhi after massive protests over citizenship law
- Date: 21st December 2019
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 21, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PEOPLE STANDING OUTSIDE JAMA MASJID MOSQUE AS SOME WALK JAMA MASJID MOSQUE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING IN A STREET VENDOR ARRANGING NEWSPAPERS
- Embargoed: 4th January 2020 05:17
- Keywords: Citizenship Amendment Act Gorakhpur India New Delhi clashes violence
- Location: NEW DELHI/ GORAKHPUR, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI/ GORAKHPUR, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAX4D3J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Distressed relatives of scores of people who were detained by police in New Delhi after massive protests over Citizenship Law gathered outside a police station to demand their release on Saturday (December 21).
In New Delhi's Daryaganj area, a commercial thoroughfare in the capital with many banks, shops and cafes, police fired a water cannon to disperse crowds of some 6,000 protesters on Friday (December 20) evening.
A woman said her son has been locked up since Friday night.
There were standoffs at police barricades in half a dozen towns in Uttar Pradesh, India's most populous state, which has long been a tinderbox of communal tensions between majority Hindus and minority Muslims.
The situation in New Delhi's Jama Masjid mosque area, Seelampur and northern Gorakhpur city remained normal, a day after standoffs and clashes between police and protesters. However, local residents said they were scared of stepping out of their houses.
At least 14 people have been killed in violent clashes between the police and protesters since parliament last week passed a contentious citizenship law, that critics say discriminates against Muslims and undermines the country's secular constitution.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None