- Title: First Ebola relapse recorded in Congo outbreak, WHO says
- Date: 21st December 2019
- Summary: ALOYA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO (DECEMBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HEALTH WORKERS DISINFECTING EQUIPMENT TRUCK CARRYING CASKET LEAVING HEALTH CENTRE VARIOUS OF A HEALTH WORKER REMOVING PROTECTIVE CLOTHING (SOUNDBITE) (French) EBOLA SURVIVOR AND RESIDENT, MUHIMA MAHESHE, SAYING: "We knew he was an Ebola survivor, we didn't think he could get it again. According to the signs that this survivor is presenting, this is the reason why we bring him here to the CTE (Ebola treatment centre). The team was convinced, and at four we were given the result that it was still positive." VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS GATHERED AT HEALTH CENTRE VARIOUS OF SECURITY FORCES VARIOUS OF VILLAGE ELDER, PALUKU NEPANEPA DANIEL, SITTING (SOUNDBITE) (Swahili) VILLAGE ELDER, PALUKU NEPANEPA DANIEL, SAYING: "That means there are still a lot of Ebola cases because there is resistance against response teams, those who came to help us when there were cases. Unfortunately, while they sacrifice themselves to protect us, the community, we drive them out. Yet it is when people enter their dead (bring Ebola victims to the CTE) themselves in communities, in neighbourhoods that the disease spreads and is likely to last a long time." VARIOUS OF UNITED NATIONS EMERGENCY EBOLA RESPONSE COORDINATOR, DAVID GRESSLY, ARRIVING AT ALOYA HEALTH CENTRE VARIOUS OF MEETING BETWEEN GRESSLY WITH LOCAL ADMINISTRATORS AND SECURITY OFFICIALS
- Embargoed: 4th January 2020 16:04
- Keywords: Mabalako North Kivu province World Health Organisation eastern Congo ebola epidemic
- Location: ALOYA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
- City: ALOYA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
- Country: Congo, Democratic Republic of the
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAX4XMV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Health officials in eastern Congo have documented the first relapse of the current Ebola epidemic, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday (December 20).
The Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo has so far infected more than 3,300 people and killed more than 2,200 since the middle of last year, making it the second-worst on record.
This recent relapse happened in the Aloya district where a motorcycle taxi operator is said to have come into contact with 33 people potentially the cause of 11 new confirmed Ebola cases in the past week, according to the WHO.
Despite the development of an effective vaccine and treatments, a recent surge in violence by rebel militias and criminal bands near Congo's borders with Uganda and Rwanda has hampered efforts to contain the outbreak.
David Gressly, the coordinator of the United Nations Emergency Response Office against Ebola, visited the village on Friday and spoke with local administrators on strategies to prevent the further spread of the disease. Gressly was accompanied by General Bernard Commins, his principal adviser on security from the head of the Monusco office in Beni.
(Production: Djafar Sabti, Edwin Waita, Okwi Okoh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None