- Title: Migrants arrive in Gran Canaria aboard Spanish coast guard vessel
- Date: 21st December 2019
- Summary: ARGUINEGUIN, SPAIN (DECEMBER 21, 2019) (REUTERS) COAST GUARD VESSEL CARRYING RESCUED MIGRANTS ARRIVING AT DOCK MIGRANTS SITTING ON DECK RESCUE WORKER PICKING UP SMALL CHILD AND PASSING IT TO RED CROSS WORKER ON SHORE VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS STEPPING ONTO DOCKSIDE EMERGENCY WORKERS AND SHELTERS MIGRANT MAN SITTING WITH YOUNG BOY IN FRONT OF SHELTER MIGRANT MAN BEING ESCORTED INTO SHELTER RESCUE WORKERS OUTSIDE SHELTERS MIGRANT WRAPPED IN BLANKET GETTING ONTO BUS
- Embargoed: 4th January 2020 23:15
- Keywords: Gran Canaria Spanish coast guards rescue migrants
- Location: ARGUINEGUIN, SPAIN
- City: ARGUINEGUIN, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAX5FT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A Spanish coast guard vessel picked up a boat carrying 26 migrants in the Atlantic Ocean on Saturday (December 21) and transported them to the port of Arguineguin in Gran Canaria where they were received by Red Cross workers and Spanish police.
The party, which included 20 men, four women and two minors, was spotted 60 miles off the coast of Gran Canaria.
A second boat carrying an unconfirmed number of migrants was also located 100 miles from Gran Canaria and was due to arrive in the port later in the night.
Spain's ministry of interior reported that up to December 1, a total of 24,031 irregular migrants had arrived in Spain by sea, 29% less than the same time last year.
(Production: Borja Suarez, Catherine Macdonald)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None