- Title: Macron meets Ivory Coast's Ouattara at presidential palace in Abidjan
- Date: 21st December 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MACRON INSPECTING GUARDS MACRON BEING GREETED BY IVORIAN PRESIDENT, ALASSANE OUATTARA / MACRON AND OUATTARA SHAKING HANDS THEN ENTERING BUILDING
- Embargoed: 4th January 2020 17:50
- Keywords: Alasanne Outtara Emmanuel Macron France French army French troops Ivory Coast Sahel
- Location: ABIDJAN, IVORY COAST
- City: ABIDJAN, IVORY COAST
- Country: France
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002BAX4953
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron arrived at the presidential palace in Abidjan, Ivory Coast on Saturday (December 21) to hold talks with the country's leader Alassane Ouattara as part of his two-day visit before heading to Niger on Sunday (December 22).
During his trip Macron met with French soldiers based at the Port-Bouet military camp, some returning from deployment in the Sahel, and shared a Christmas dinner as is tradition.
France killed 33 militants in Mali on Saturday using attack helicopters, ground troops and a drone near the border with Mauritania where a group linked to al Qaeda operates, Macron announced in a speech to the French community in Abidjan, describing the operation as a major success.
The French president aims to strengthen ties with the Ivory Coast on issues of counter-terrorism, culture and development.
(Production: Clotaire Achi and Pascale Antonie)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.