- Title: Macron inaugurates sports centre in Abidjan on his birthday
- Date: 21st December 2019
- Summary: PEOPLE AT EVENT CHEERING AND WAVING FLAGS
- Embargoed: 4th January 2020 13:17
- Keywords: Didier Drogba Emmanuel Macron Ivory Coast sports centre
- Location: ABIDJAN, IVORY COAST
- City: ABIDJAN, IVORY COAST
- Country: France
- Topics: Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002BAX3M87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:French President Emmanuel Macron inaugurated a sports centre in the commune of Koumassi, south of the commercial Ivorian capital of Abidjan on Saturday (December 21), with cheering crowds of people waiting to greet him.
Ivorian soccer star Didier Drogba was also present at the event and said sports and community centres such as the Agora were important for youth development.
The Agora, a project by French NGO WinWin Africa, was built around the idea of being the first centre to promote "sport for all, sport for good" in the country.
Macron and his accompanying ministers were treated to martial arts demonstrations by young students before the entire audience sang happy birthday to the French president who turned 42.
Macron will late meet with Ivorian President Alassane Ouattara.
(Production: Clotaire Achi and Pascale Antonie)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.