- Title: Banksy brings war-scarred manger scene to Bethlehem
- Date: 22nd December 2019
- Summary: HOLE IN WALL/NATIVITY SCENE UNDER WALL MORE OF ART DISPLAY THE 'WALLED OFF' HOTEL NEAR THE WEST BANK WALL SIGN READING IN ENGLISH: 'THE WALLED OFF HOTEL' (SOUNDBITE) (English) WISAM SALSA, GENERAL MANAGER OF THE 'WALLED OFF' HOTEL, SAYING: "Christmas (is) known with the Star of Bethlehem, that led people to the birthplace of Jesus. Banksy called this nativity 'The Scar of Bethlehem' and as you see there is a scar, there is a hole on the wall that marks the wall and the life in Bethlehem how it is today." HOLE IN WALL VARIOUS OF VISITOR TAKING PHOTOS OF ART DISPLAY WITH HIS MOBILE PHONE (SOUNDBITE) (English) CHARLOTTE BORIE, TOURIST FROM FRANCE, SAYING: "I think it's totally true that the connection is really really important and Banksy found exactly how to tell without words the reality, it's really really incredible. We are really lucky to be here today." VARIOUS OF TOURISTS LOOKING AT WALL OUTSIDE HOTEL (SOUNDBITE) (English) ARNAUD LUCIEN, TOURIST FROM FRANCE, SAYING: "It's a scene, a Biblical scene which is turned political so it's very interesting for us and the message is very interesting because the message of peace is done for Palestinians and Israelis and I think it's a very nice piece of art." MONKEY DRESSED AS SANTA WALL/HOTEL WATCH TOWER MORE OF WALL/HOTEL CHRISTMAS TREE NEAR NATIVITY CHURCH STAR ON TOP OF TREE PEOPLE TAKING SELFIES AGAINST BACKDROP OF NATIVITY SCENE BABY JESUS MORE OF PEOPLE TAKING SELFIES TOURISTS OUTSIDE NATIVITY CHURCH WOMAN TAKING PHOTO OF CHILD STANDING AMID NATIVITY SCENE DISPLAY VARIOUS OF NATIVITY SCENE
- Embargoed: 5th January 2020 13:35
- Keywords: Banksy Bethlehem Christmas Israel Palestinians West Bank West Bank wall art manger nativity scene
- Location: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- City: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA002BB242MF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: British street artist Banksy has brought a sombre Christmas spirit to a hotel he founded in Bethlehem, with a manger scene invoking the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.
Dubbed "Scar of Bethlehem", the display features a miniature Jesus, Mary and Joseph under a shell-pocked rendition of Israel's concrete West Bank barrier.
It is located in The Walled Off Hotel, which abuts the real barrier and which the secretive Banksy opened in 2017.
The theme of Nativity scene taking place with the barrier as a backdrop has been featured in art works and commodities since the barrier was erected.
Israel says the barrier that cuts through the West Bank is a bulwark against Palestinian suicide bombers. Palestinians see it as a symbol of oppression that takes up land they want for a state.
Meanwhile, hundreds of tourists from the region and elsewhere flocked to Manger Square, where they took selfies with traditional nativity scene on display just outside of the Church of the Nativity, revered as the birthplace of Jesus.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None