- Title: Macron, Ouattara pay tribute to fallen French, U.S. soldiers in Ivory Coast
- Date: 22nd December 2019
- Summary: BOUAKE, IVORY COAST (DECEMBER 22, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, AND IVORY COAST PRESIDENT, ALASSANE OUATTARA, STANDING IN FRONT OF COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT FOR KILLED FRENCH AND U.S. SOLDIERS IN 2004
- Embargoed: 5th January 2020 14:10
- Keywords: Bouake Emmanuel Macron France Ivory Coast homage ceremony soldiers visit
- Location: BOUAKE, IVORY COAST / PARIS, FRANCE
- City: BOUAKE, IVORY COAST / PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BB24U9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:French President Emmanuel Macron on Sunday (December 22) paid tribute to French and U.S. soldiers killed in the Ivory Coast city of Bouake 15 years ago.
On the third and final day of his official visit in the Ivory Coast, Macron laid a wreath on a Bouake monument commemorating the fallen alongside his Ivorian counterpart Alassane Ouattara.
Ivory Coast warplanes killed in November 2004 nine French soldiers and an American relief worker in a bombing raid of the French base in Bouake.
Former colonial power France said it believed the raid on its troops had been deliberate. France retaliated by destroying most of the West African country's small airforce.
Macron is scheduled to depart to Niger's capital of Niamey on Sunday afternoon.
(Production: Clotaire Achi, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.