- Title: Over 250 fatherless brides marry in mass wedding in India
- Date: 22nd December 2019
- Summary: CROWDS BRIDES AND GROOMS WALKING VARIOUS OF BRIDE AND GROOM PERFORMING MARRIAGE RITUALS VARIOUS OF BRIDE AND GROOM SITTING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) BRIDE, SHAIKH NAGMA MOHAMMAD RAFIQUE, SAYING: "I don't have any brother or sister, and I am very happy that my marriage is happening here. Reporter asking: How would your father have conducted your marriage, in the same manner? No, no, in a normal manner, but as it is happening unexpectedly here, I am very happy; the arrangements are very nice."
- Embargoed: 5th January 2020 10:59
- Keywords: Gujarat Surat bride groom marriage mass wedding
- Location: SURAT, GUJARAT, INDIA
- City: SURAT, GUJARAT, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA002BB23QRZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As many of 271 fatherless brides tied the knot at a mass-wedding ceremony on Saturday (December 21) in western Surat city.
Brides dressed in crimson attire, donning jewellery sat with their grooms and performed wedding rituals according to different traditions.
Organizer, Maheshbhai Savani, marked his ninth anniversary with this year's celebrations. He said till date, 2,721 girls, belonging from various communities, were married under the function.
Mass weddings are becoming very popular, especially among the economically backward sections of Indian society, as these reduce the worries of financial implications among the parents or guardians of the brides. Conventionally, the family of a bride in India is expected to bear the expenses of a lavish wedding and also give 'dowry' to the bridegroom deemed as gifts to the bride which could be in cash or kind.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None