- Title: Sane, Salah and Mahrez shortlisted for African Player of the Year
- Date: 22nd December 2019
- Summary: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - NOVEMBER 4, 2019) (REUTERS) SALAH STRETCHING MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - SEPTEMBER 30, 2019) (REUTERS) MANCHESTER CITY FORWARD RIYAD MAHREZ, JOGGING DURING TRAINING MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - APRIL 16, 2019) (REUTERS) RIYAD MAHREZ PASSING THE BALL CAIRO, EGYPT (FILE - JULY 14, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MAHREZ, RECEIVING MAN OF THE MATCH AWARD AFTER ALGERIA BEAT NIGERIA 2-1 IN THEIR 2019 AFRICA CUP OF NATIONS SEMI-FINAL
- Embargoed: 5th January 2020 16:40
- Keywords: CAF African Player of the Year award Mohamed Salah Riyad Mahrez Sadio Mane
- Location: LIVERPOOL & MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK / DOHA, QATAR / CAIRO, EGYPT
- City: LIVERPOOL & MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK / DOHA, QATAR / CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA008BB24OQN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Liverpool pair Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah, plus Riyad Mahrez from Manchester City, were named as the three candidates for this year's African Footballer of the Year award, to be decided next month.
Senegal talisman Mane will be the favourite for the award ahead of his Egyptian club mate after Liverpool won the Champions League.
However, Mane faces stiff opposition from Mahrez, who won the Premier League with City and also captained Algeria to the Africa Cup of Nations title in mid-year.
The nominees were named on Sunday (December 22) after being selected by a panel of technical experts from the Confederation of African Football plus former players and media.
The coaches and captains of the 54 African national teams will now vote for the winner, to be announced on Jan. 7 at a ceremony at Hurghada in Egypt.
Salah has been African Footballer of the Year the last two years while Mahrez was the winner in 2016.
Sane was third in 2016 and runner-up to Salah the last two years.
(Production: Stefan Haskins)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None