- Title: Qatar's stadiums taking shape as World Cup looms
- Date: 20th December 2019
- Summary: EDUCATION CITY STADIUM, AL RAYYAN, QATAR (DECEMBER 15, 2019) (REUTERS) VIEW OF EDUCATION CITY STADIUM PITCH SIDE VIEW OF EDUCATION CITY STADIUM VARIOUS OF WORKMEN ON SIDE OF PITCH WORKMEN IN THE STANDS TWO WORKMEN LOOKING OUT AT STADIUM AL BAYT STADIUM, AL KHOR, QATAR (DECEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) TWO WORKMEN INSIDE ROOM / VIEW OF AL BAYT STADIUM WORKMEN AND JOURNALISTS PITCHSIDE WORKMAN SPEAKING TO AN OFFICIAL ON SIDE OF PITCH WORKMEN IN THE STANDS CHANGING ROOM VIEW OF AL BAYT STADIUM DOHA, QATAR (DECEMBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) SOUNDBITE (English) FIFA PRESIDENT GIANNI INFANTINO SAYING: "The state of advancement of work, which we can see here in Qatar, is unique. I mean I have never been in a country, never been organising an event in a country, including Switzerland and Austria for the Euro, which had the stadiums and infrastructure ready two years in advance. And this will be ready two years in advance and that's great." DOHA, QATAR (DECEMBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) 23. CONSTRUCTION IN PROGRESS AT LUSAIL STADIUM 24. WORKER BLOWING WHISTLE 25. WORKERS UNLOADING MATERIALS FROM TRUCK 26. WORKERS STANDING IN STADIUM 27. WORKER WALKING THROUGH CONSTRUCTION AREA DOHA, QATAR (DECEMBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) 28. EXTERIOR OF AL KHALIFA STADIUM 29. SIGN SAYING 'FIFA CLUB WORLD CUP QATAR 2019' 30. VARIOUS INTERIOR OF AL KHALIFA STADIUM 31. FLAGS INSIDE STADIUM 32. EXTERIOR OF STADIUM
- Embargoed: 3rd January 2020 11:32
- Keywords: Qatar World Cup 2022 stadiums workers
- Location: AL BAYT STADIUM, AL KHOR, QATAR / EDUCATION CITY STADIUM, AL RAYYAN, QATAR / DOHA, QATAR
- City: AL BAYT STADIUM, AL KHOR, QATAR / EDUCATION CITY STADIUM, AL RAYYAN, QATAR / DOHA, QATAR
- Country: Qatar
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAS427Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:QUALITY AS INCOMING
The Qatar World Cup may be two years away but some of the stadiums that will play host to the world's greatest soccer players look close to ready.
Both Education City Stadium and Al Bayt Stadium have workmen still operating at the sites, but the facilities look well on course to be finished before the FIFA World Cup kicks off in November 2022.
Qatar is currently hosting the Club World Cup, where British club Liverpool beat Mexican side Monterrey 2-1 on Wednesday (December 18) at the Khalifa Stadium.
Education City Stadium, in Al Rayyan, was due to open this month and host games at the Club World Cup, but the official opening of the venue was postponed until early 2020.
Lusail Stadium still has some way to go before being declared ready, but this week labourers were working hard on site.
Conditions for workers from India, Nepal and Bangladesh powering a $200 billion infrastructure upgrade for the 2022 World Cup have come under scrutiny from rights groups who say migrants' rights have been violated.
However organisers of the World Cup say they have put a wide-range of measures in place to prevent exploitation, and improving the lot of World Cup workers is driving reform to labour laws across the country.
(Production: Francis Maguire / Abdelhadi Rahami / Kai Pfaffenbach / Iain Axon)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None