- Title: Russia's new Su-57 stealth fighter jet crashes during test
- Date: 24th December 2019
- Summary: MOSCOW REGION, RUSSIA (AUGUST 27, 2019) (RUSSIAN POOL) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN AND TURKISH PRESIDENT TAYYIP ERDOGAN INSPECTING SU-57 JET PRESIDENTS NEXT TO SU-57 JET VARIOUS OF PRESIDENTS WATCHING JET FROM PLATFORM
- Embargoed: 7th January 2020 09:10
- Keywords: Felon Russian Aerospace Forces SU-57 Crash Sukhoi Su-57 fifth generation fighter stealth fighter
- Location: UNKNOWN LOCATION, SYRIA / MOSCOW REGION, RUSSIA
- City: UNKNOWN LOCATION, SYRIA / MOSCOW REGION, RUSSIA
- Country: Various
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA002BBC57BB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: One of Russia's Sukhoi Su-57 stealth fighter jets crashed on Tuesday (December 24) in the Far East, Russian news agencies reported, the first accident of its kind involving what is the country's most advanced warplane.
The RIA news agency cited Russia's United Aircraft Corporation (UAC), which makes the plane, as saying the incident took place during a training flight in the Khabarovsk Region and that the pilot ejected safely.
The Defence Ministry will set up a commission to investigate the accident, which looked like it was caused by a failure in the steering system, the TASS news agency cited two military sources as saying.
The lost plane was one of the first to be mass-produced and was due to be handed over to the Russian air force by the end of this year, the Interfax news agency reported, citing a source.
Russia has previously tested the Su-57 in Syria.
A prototype of the plane, conceived as a rival for the U.S. F-22 Raptor, first took to the skies in January 2010. The Su-57 made its first appearance at Russia's annual Red Square parade in May last year when a pair of them roared over Moscow.
(Production: Maria Vasilyeva)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None