- Title: Guardiola says staying with Man City next season
- Date: 23rd December 2019
- Summary: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK (DECEMBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS) MANCHESTER CITY MANAGER PEP GUARDIOLA ENTERING NEWS CONFERENCE WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) MANCHESTER CITY MANAGER PEP GUARDIOLA, SPEAKING ABOUT HIS FUTURE WITH THE CLUB, SAYING: "I've been here already four seasons and and will have one more next season, five seasons because I try to stay next season here so it's a long time. Look what happens today in the clubs, sack their managers week by week. So I said this answer many times, I'm incredible good here, fine and like I said the other time, to sign a contract you have to see how it works, if I deserve it, the level is.... we increase a lot in the last years and the expectations are higher and we have to see if we can handle it. So it's not just my desire, but the desire of the club, still we didn't talk so.... Now is a bit of a break with the family, Christmas time and we have to prepare or Wolves and the resting, we have time to think about the future." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) MANCHESTER CITY MANAGER PEP GUARDIOLA, SPEAKING ABOUT FACING WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS IN THE NEXT MATCH, SAYING: "It's always one of the toughest opponents. I think Nuno is doing an incredible job, in the Championship, promoted, Premier League. The first season we draw there, it's always tough, one of the toughest opponents away, at home as well, but away or the quality they have, incredibly well organised, incredible pace up front." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) MANCHESTER CITY MANAGER PEP GUARDIOLA, SPEAKING ABOUT THE DEPARTURE OF ASSISTANT COACH MIKEL ARTETA FOR ARSENAL, SAYING: "As I've said many times lately, he's now manager for Arsenal and we prepared the last game against Leicester, the last two days without him and tried to re-adjust the way we were for the last three years and a half and tried to do it with the people we have to do the job that he has done this time and work a little bit harder and that's all."
- Embargoed: 6th January 2020 16:35
- Location: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK
- City: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001BB75ANZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola said on Monday (December 23) that he was planning to stay with the Premier League club next season amid talk that he would leave the champions at the end of the current campaign.
The Spaniard, who has never managed a club for more than four years, denied reports earlier this month that his contract until 2021 contained a 'break clause' that could allow him to leave at the end of the season.
City's hopes of a third successive league title look slim with Guardiola's side trailing Liverpool by 11 points and the 48-year-old said his future at the club was not entirely down to him.
Speaking ahead of Friday's (December 27) trip to Wolverhampton Wanderers Guardiola said he had not spoken to the club about his future but wanted to stay next season.
City face Wolves who are sixth in the standings and Guardiola praised their manager Nuno Espirito Santo who has overseen only one loss in their last 13 league matches.
Guardiola's also touched upon his long-time assistant manager Mikel Arteta, who replaced Unai Emery as manager at Arsenal last week.
Guardiola confirmed midfielder Kevin De Bruyne was not injured after he hobbled off with a cramp during Saturday's win over Leicester City but David Silva, Sergio Aguero and John Stones remain sidelined.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None