- Title: 'My dream is to bring Everton to the top of the Premier League', says Ancelotti
- Date: 23rd December 2019
- Summary: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK (DECEMBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) CARLO ANCELOTTI SPEAKING ABOUT RACISM, SAYING: "It's a big problem everywhere, I had a big fight last year in Italy when Koulibaly was abused about at the stadium in Milan, and I think that we have to be strong there. Football cannot allow people to abuse racism so the F.A., the federation, all the federations around the world has to be really tough and strong against this." END OF NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 6th January 2020 12:37
- Keywords: Carlo Ancelotti Everton Premier League
- Location: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK/MILAN, ITALY
- City: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK/MILAN, ITALY
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA005BB75933
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Everton's ambition to be among the Premier League's elite is what convinced new manager Carlo Ancelotti to take up the role at the Merseyside club, the Italian said on Monday (December 23).
Ancelotti, one of Europe's most successful coaches who also managed Chelsea in England, left Napoli this month and replaced Portuguese Marco Silva who was sacked after a 5-2 loss to local rivals Liverpool left them in the relegation zone.
Everton, now 15th after finding a measure of stability under interim boss Duncan Ferguson, submitted a planning application for their proposed new 52,000-seater Bramley-Moore Dock stadium on Monday.
Ancelotti, who has won titles with European heavyweights such as AC Milan and Real Madrid, outlined his long-term plan to get Everton playing football that would delight the club's supporters.
Ancelotti confirmed Ferguson would stay on in his coaching staff because he was familiar with the players, saying he had done the same at Paris St Germain with Claude Makelele and Real Madrid with Zinedine Zidane.
Everton host Burnley on Thursday.
Speaking about racism in soccer, Ancelotti said that it is a big problem everywhere and that federations around the world have to be really tough and strong in their fight against it.
(Production: Annette Faydenko)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None