- Title: Colombians remember teen protester killed in anti-government march
- Date: 24th December 2019
- Summary: WOMAN WITH PATCH ON HER EYE THAT READS (Spanish) "NO MORE RIOT SQUAD" BAND PLAYING DURING COMMEMORATION PROTEST VARIOUS, CRUZ'S GRANDFATHER, JOSE MEDINA, PLAYING DRUM
- Embargoed: 7th January 2020 01:12
- Keywords: Bogota Colombia Dilan Cruz President Ivan Duque riot squad
- Location: BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
- City: BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
- Country: Colombia
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA005BB76GJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of Colombians turned out on Monday (December 23) to remember the life of an 18-year-old protester who killed in violent protests that has rocked the government of President Ivan Duque.
On November 23, anti-government marches took a dark turn when 18-year-old protester Dilan Cruz was fatally injured by a tear gas canister fired by the ESMAD riot police squad.
Cruz had become a symbol for protesters, who allege the ESMAD were using excessive force in its crowd dispersion efforts. And on Monday, protesters vowed to not let other protesters fall to a similar fate and called for the riot police squad to be disbanded.
Duque has announced a "great national dialogue" on social issues, but government efforts to stop demonstrations had failed.
Protesters have wide-ranging demands - including that the government do more to stop the murder of human rights activists; support former leftist rebels who demobilized under a peace deal; and dissolve the ESMAD riot police, accused by marchers of using excessive force.
Until now, five have died in connection with the demonstrations, which started on Nov. 21 and occurred in tandem with protests in other Latin American countries.
(Production: Camilo Cohecha)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.