- Title: London hosts exhibition devoted to Saudi's late King Faisal
- Date: 23rd December 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (DECEMBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) COVER OF TIME MAGAZINE SHOWING LATE SAUDI KING FAISAL BIN ABDULAZIZ AS MAN OF THE YEAR ON DISPLAY AT "FAISAL: A LIFE AT THE HEART OF THE 20TH CENTURY" EXHIBITION SIGN READING (English): "Man of the Year" VARIOUS OF CEREMONIAL SABRE SIMILAR TO ONE GIVEN BY FAISAL TO KING GEORGE V IN 1919 VARIOUS OF DECORATED FABRIC TOOLS SIGN READING (English): "Desert Equipment" (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CHAIRMAN OF KING FAISAL CENTRE FOR RESEARCH AND ISLAMIC STUDIES, PRINCE TURKI BIN FAISAL, SAYING: "King George V sent an invitation to King Abdulaziz Al Saud to visit London and then to go to Paris to participate in the Versailles Peace Conference which was held after World War I. He (King Abdulaziz Al Saud) chose Faisal to be his representative. (Faisal's) journey started from this invitation given by King George V." DECORATED PAN FAISAL'S COFFEE POT VARIOUS OF FAMILY TREE OF AL-SAUD FAISAL'S SHAVING KIT TRADITIONAL DRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CHAIRMAN OF KING FAISAL CENTRE FOR RESEARCH AND ISLAMIC STUDIES, PRINCE TURKI BIN FAISAL, SAYING: "(The aim of King George V invitation) was to get to know King Abdulaziz and what his position means in the Arabian Peninsula at the time. I mentioned to you before that the Ottoman Empire had some sort of influence in the Arabian Peninsula, but after World War I, the Ottoman Empire fell, leaving a vacuum in the political system in the Arabian Peninsula. No one knew what the direction of the mini-states in the Arabian Peninsula at the time (after) World War 1." VARIOUS OF FAISAL'S PASSPORT
- Embargoed: 6th January 2020 16:03
- Keywords: "A Life at the Heart of the 20th Century" Britain Kind Faisal bin Abdulaziz Saudi Arabia UK
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: Saudi Arabia
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001BB73LUD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A London exhibition is opening a window into the past of a remarkable journey to Britain by a young prince who later became one of Saudi Arabia's most influential monarchs.
"Faisal: A Life at the Heart of the 20th Century" exhibition is showing a collection of artefacts, photos, objects and personal belongings of late Saudi King Faisal bin Abdulaziz during his first visit to Britain in 1919.
The then 13-year-old prince was sent on a mission by his father, ruler of Najd Abdulaziz Al Saud at the time. Travelling outside Arabia for the first time in his life, Faisal was groomed to bolster his political career, decades before he became king of Saudi Arabia in 1964.
Marking 100 years since the months-long trip took place, the exhibition is divided into seven chapters, each representing a single stop of Faisal's memorable journey, including Najd, India, London, England, Wales and Ireland, among others.
It is organised by King Faisal Centre for Research and Islamic Studies and runs until January 10.
(Production: Will Russell, Noah Browning, Mai Shams El-Din)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None