- Title: Godown fire kills at least 9 in New Delhi
- Date: 23rd December 2019
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 23, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF CHARRED BUILDING, WHERE THE FIRE BROKE OUT VARIOUS OF BURNT AND DAMAGED PROPERTY POLICEMEN AND OTHERS STANDING NEAR FIRE TRUCK BURNT AND DAMAGED PROPERTY POLICEMEN AND OTHERS STANDING PEOPLE IN STREET EXTERIOR OF A HOSPITAL SIGNBOARD READING (English and Hindi) 'SANJAY GANDHI MEMORIAL HOSPITAL' NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 23, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) LEGISLATOR OF AAM AADMI PARTY, RITURAJ JHA, SAYING: "According to the information that we have received, there was a fire in a godown. Two families were sleeping there- one was the owner of the house, his family and the other was the family living on rent. Both the families were completely caught in the fire and there was a gas cylinder there and so because of the blasting of the cylinder, there was an explosion. As per the information received 9 persons have died." BLACKENED BUILDING VARIOUS OF BURNT AND DAMAGED PROPERTY PEOPLE GATHERED/BURNT AND DAMAGED PROPERTY DAMAGED WALL RESCUE WORKERS GOING INSIDE BUILDING BLACKENED BUILDING/PEOPLE GATHERED
- Embargoed: 6th January 2020 07:11
- Keywords: 9 killed Fire India New Delhi accident cloth godown
- Location: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA001BB746DR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:At least nine people including, three children were killed in a fire that broke out in a cloth godown in New Delhi on Monday (December 23).
The incident happened around midnight when the building that housed a cloth godown on the ground floor caught fire due to a short circuit which was followed by a cylinder blast.
On receiving the information, fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire and rescue workers recovered the bodies and shifted the injured to the hospital.
The incident comes days after 43 people were killed in New Delhi fire that swept through a six-storey factory where laborers were sleeping.
In most places across India, fire safety regulations are lax and not periodically reviewed which results in major fires break out, resulting in loss of life and property.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None