- Title: Russia's Putin opens bridge to annexed Crimea
- Date: 23rd December 2019
- Summary: KERCH STRAIT (DECEMBER 23, 2019) (RUSSIAN POOL) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN RIDING IN TRAIN CAB SAYING (Russian): 'The ride is much smoother than a car.' VARIOUS OF PUTIN RIDING IN TRAIN CAB VARIOUS OF TRAIN GOING ACROSS BRIDGE VARIOUS OF PUTIN RIDING IN TRAIN CAB VARIOUS OF TRAIN GOING ACROSS BRIDGE
- Embargoed: 6th January 2020 10:54
- Keywords: Crimea Kerch bridge Putin Russia
- Location: KERCH STRAIT
- City: KERCH STRAIT
- Country: At Sea
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001BB74RPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian President Vladimir Putin took the first ride across the Kerch Strait on a newly constructed rail route on Monday (December 23).
Putin opened a railroad linking Russia's two biggest cities to Crimea, which Moscow annexed from Ukraine in 2014, and said it proved that the country could deliver on giant infrastructure projects.
Construction of the bridge, which is 19 km long (11.8 miles), was opposed by Ukraine, which says it wants the Black Sea peninsula back. The Kremlin has ruled out returning Crimea.
The bridge, likely to be viewed as an important part of Putin's legacy, was designed to integrate Crimea into Russia's economy and to end its relative isolation by allowing Russia to supply it by road and rail as well as by sea and air.
Putin said the new rail route would carry around 14 million passengers and about 13 million tonnes of freight next year.
(Production: Anton Derbenev)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None