- Title: Thousands march on roads condemning Indiaâ€™s citizenship law
- Date: 23rd December 2019
- Summary: HYDERABAD, TELANGANA, INDIA (DECEMBER 23, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PROTESTERS, SOME WITH INDIAN NATIONAL FLAGS, WALKING AS THEY RAISE SLOGANS/PROTESTERS ON TWO-WHEELERS PROTESTERS WITH PLACARDS RAISING SLOGANS PROTESTERS STANDING AS VEHICLES PASSBY POLICEMEN AND OTHERS STANDING AS VEHICLES PASSBY PROTESTERS, SOME HOLDING A BANNER, WALKING PROTESTERS WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) PROTESTER, SAYING: "All of us Hindu, Muslims are brothers and sisters. One religion should not be (targeted). The saffron and green colour in the Indian flag depicts two religions so by opposing one religion this (Citizenship Amendment Act) should not be implemented." BENGALURU, KARNATAKA, INDIA (DECEMBER 23, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PROTESTERS GATHERED PROTESTERS WITH INDIAN NATIONAL FLAGS, PLACARDS, POSTERS STANDING/PROTESTERS WALKING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WALKING CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA (DECEMBER 23, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF PRESIDENT OF REGIONAL DRAVIDA MUNNETRA KAZHAGAM PARTY, M. K. STALIN WALKING ALONG WITH OTHERS DURING A PROTEST VARIOUS OF INDIAN POLITICIAN, P. CHIDAMBARAM (WEARING SPECTACLES), STALIN (BESIDES CHIDAMBARAM) AND OTHERS WALKING NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 23, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VEHICLES PLYING OUTSIDE JAMIA MILLIA ISLAMIA UNIVERSITY BANNER READING (English): 'EX. STUDENTS FORUM JAMIA MILIA ISLAMIA AGAINST CAA AND NRC, SAVE CONSTITUTION-SAVE INDIA' POSTERS AND BANNER ON ENTRY GATE BANNER READING (English): 'CAA AGAINST CONSTITUTION' MAN WAVING INDIAN NATIONAL FLAG OUTSIDE ENTRY GATE BANNER READING (English): 'JMI AGAINST CAA AND NRC' BANNER WITH INDIAN FLAG VARIOUS OF SECURITY PERSONNEL STANDING AND TALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) STUDENT, TARIQ ANWAR, SAYING: "We demand the government that the discriminatory law that you have passed in which you have included all community members except Muslims which is totally against the preamble of the constitutionâ€¦so we demand the government to repeal this bill because this bill will bring losses to hundreds of thousands of people." NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 23, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VEHICLES PLYING AND PEOPLE WALKING OUTSIDE JAMA MASJID MOSQUE SECURITY PERSONNEL WALKING PEOPLE WALKING JAMA MASJID PEOPLE WALKING JAMA MASJID/PEOPLE AT JAMA MASJID
- Embargoed: 6th January 2020 09:39
- Keywords: Citizenship Amendment Act India Jama Masjid Narendra Modi New Delhi protests
- Location: HYDERABAD, TELANGANA/CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU/BENGALURU, KARNATAKA/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: HYDERABAD, TELANGANA/CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU/BENGALURU, KARNATAKA/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BB74767
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of protesters marched in parts of southern India as they came out on the roads to condemn a new Citizenship law on Monday (December 23).
The Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) aims to fast-track citizenship for persecuted Hindus, Parsis, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains and Christians who arrived in India before December 31, 2014, from Muslim-majority Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan.
Protesters in southern Hyderabad and Bengaluru cities carried Indian flags, posters, placards, and raised slogans as they demanded the government to repeal CAA. In southern Chennai city, President of regional Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam party, M. K. Stalin staged a massive rally to protest the act.
The passing of the bill on December 11 triggered widespread demonstrations across India. Critics say the law discriminates against Muslims and undermines India's secular constitution. They question why the law does not include Muslims fleeing Sri Lanka and Myanmar, which are majority Buddhist.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None