- Title: Colombian artists band with protesters in call for change
- Date: 23rd December 2019
- Summary: MEDELLIN, COLOMBIA (DECEMBER 22, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PERFORMERS BANGING DRUMS AND DANCING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ACTOR, SANTIAGO ALARCON, SAYING: "I think more than just the music it is those who are singing out, those who are coming, those who are not coming. This is a national issue, an issue that also involves art, what it (art) has to say is that there are a people who need a change and who are looking for it."
- Embargoed: 6th January 2020 01:42
- Keywords: Colombia Medellin President Ivan Duque artists change government performers strike
- Location: MEDELLIN, COLOMBIA
- City: MEDELLIN, COLOMBIA
- Country: Colombia
- Topics: Society/Social Issues,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001BB7437R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Colombian artists banded together in Medellin on Sunday (December 21) for a concert to rally protesters calling for socio-economic change in the country.
Public anger has spilled onto the streets for weeks now amidst rumoured economic reform plans that critics argue give businesses too many tax breaks.
This Medellin concert was the latest demonstration in weeks of protests, which has drawn hundreds of thousands of marchers and put pressure on Duque's proposed tax reform, which lowers duties on businesses.
Duque has announced a "great national dialogue" on social issues, but government efforts to stop demonstrations had failed. And these performers want to use their platform of art to further push the popular message to the government.
Protest leaders presented 13 demands on a wide range of issues, including actions to curb the murders of social activists, the implementation of the peace agreement with the demobilised FARC guerrillas and the dissolution of a police riot squad, who are accused of violence against protesters.
(Production: Herbert Villarraga)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None