- Title: Two strong quakes shake central Colombia
- Date: 24th December 2019
- Summary: BOGOTA, COLOMBIA (DECEMBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS, HANGING LAMPS SWINGING OVER RESTAURANT BAR DURING EARTHQUAKE VARIOUS, PEOPLE EVACUATING RESTAURANT CHRISTMAS TREE SHAKING DURING EARTHQUAKE ORNAMENTS ON TREE SWINGING EXTERIOR OF APARTMENT BUILDING WITH ALARM SOUNDING PEOPLE WHO HAVE EVACUATED THEIR APARTMENT BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) LOCAL RESIDENT, MARIA EUGENIA LEY, SAYING: "Yes, it was very strong. I felt it twice and when we went back in a third came, another strong aftershock. [JOURNALIST ASKS IF SHE HAS FELT SUCH A STRONG EARTHQUAKE BEFORE] No, from what I've experienced I think this is the second strongest." LIGHT FLASHING PEOPLE OUTSIDE APARTMENT BUILDING AS ALARM SOUNDS PEOPLE AND DOGS ON STREET MEDIAN PEOPLE EXITING APARTMENT BUILDING
- Embargoed: 7th January 2020 20:21
- Keywords: Bogota Colombia earthquake magnitude 6.0 quake shake tremor
- Location: BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
- City: BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
- Country: Colombia
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBC5U87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Two strong quakes, of magnitude 6.0 and magnitude 5.8, struck central Colombia on Tuesday (December 24), the U.S. Geological Survey said.
Hanging lights swayed back and forth at a restaurant in Bogota and Christmas tree ornaments swung from a Christmas tree when the quake struck just as families were celebrating Christmas Eve in Colombia's capital.
The quakes' epicenters were very close to each other, about 150 km (93 miles) south of Bogota, and were very shallow, which would have amplified their effects.
A magnitude 6.0 earthquake is considered strong and is capable of causing severe damage however the area is not densely populated.
(Production: Herbert Villarraga, Camilo Cohecha)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None