- Title: Sixteen inmates killed in latest bout of prison mayhem in Honduras
- Date: 23rd December 2019
- Summary: FRANCISCO MORAZAN, HONDURAS (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS, EXTERIOR OF EL PORVENIR PRISON WHERE VIOLENCE OCCURRED GUARDS AT PRISON SECURITY CAMERA
- Embargoed: 6th January 2020 14:15
- Keywords: Honduras fight gangs inmates jail killed murder prison violence
- Location: TEGUCIGALPA & FRANCISCO MORAZAN, HONDURAS
- City: TEGUCIGALPA & FRANCISCO MORAZAN, HONDURAS
- Country: Honduras
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA003BB75V7R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:At least 16 Honduran inmates were killed during a fight between armed gangs of prisoners on Sunday (December 22), officials said, the second outbreak of violence to hit Honduras' beleaguered jails in the past few days.
The deaths took place in Honduras' El Porvenir penitentiary, about 43 miles (70 km) east of the capital Tegucigalpa, and follow an incident in which 18 inmates were killed during a fight between gangs at a prison in the northern port city of Tela.
Fights in the Central American country's overcrowded jails are common, as street gangs known as 'maras' compete for control of them.
Last week, the government declared a state of emergency in the prison system, transferring control to military and police forces in an effort to combat the surge in violence plaguing penal institutions that house nearly 22,000 inmates.
The preliminary death count from Sunday's prison gang fight stands at 16 plus another two inmates injured, according to Colonel Jose Gonzalez, a senior penal system official,
Since October, there have been at least five shootouts in Honduran prisons.
(Production: Marvin Valladares, Manuel Carrillo)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None