- Title: China's Xi meets Japan's Abe before trilateral summit
- Date: 23rd December 2019
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (DECEMBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER SHINZO ABE WALKING TOWARDS CHINESE PRESIDENT XI JINPING/ XI AND ABE SHAKING HANDS MEETING IN PROGRESS XI SPEAKING ABE LISTENING XI SPEAKING/CHINESE OFFICIALS SITTING ABE SPEAKING XI LISTENING ABE SPEAKING/JAPANESE OFFICIALS SITTING MEETING IN PROGRESS EXTERIOR OF THE GREAT HALL OF PEOPLE
- Embargoed: 6th January 2020 10:39
- Keywords: Asia regional security Beijing China-Japan relation Shinzo Abe Xi Jinping trilateral summit
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BB72NUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Chinese President Xi Jinping met with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Beijing on Monday (December 23) just before a trilateral summit between leaders from China, Japan, and South Korea.
China will host the trilateral summit on Tuesday (December 24) in the country's southwestern city of Chengdu amid heightened concern North Korea may be about to return to confrontation with Washington.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in also met with Xi on Monday. Chinese Premier Li Keqiang will be attending the trilateral summit in Chengdu along with Moon and Abe.
Although various economic matters will also be on the agenda - as well as tensions between Seoul and Tokyo - North Korea appears likely to dominate the talks.
(Production: Wang Shubing, Fang Nanlin)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None