- Title: China lodges stern representations to U.S. after passing of defence bill
- Date: 23rd December 2019
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (DECEMBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESMAN GENG SHUANG ARRIVING AT DAILY NEWS CONFERENCE JOURNALISTS SITTING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESMAN, GENG SHUANG, SAYING: "We express our strong dissatisfaction with the U.S. after its approval of the Defence Authorisation Act of 2020 which includes some negative aspects related to China. China has lodged solemn representation to the U.S. We urge the U.S. to abandon its Cold War mindset and ideological bias, and objectively and reasonably view China's development and the China-U.S. relationship. Do not implement regulations negatively related to China, and avoid harming the China-U.S. relationship and cooperation between our two countries in important areas." NEWS CONFERENCE ONGOING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESMAN, GENG SHUANG, SAYING: â€œIn recent years, the U.S. has ignored the objections from the international community and has strongly promoted a strategy of dominating outer space, continually progressing further into the weaponisation and militarisation of space. The U.S.'s actions have severely violated the consensus of peacefully using space achieved by the international community and has damaged global strategic equality and stability. They have directly threatened the peace and stability of space. China is deeply concerned by this and expresses strong objection. The security of space sought by the U.S. is purely for its own self. But the basic goal of the international community is about the common security of space for the whole of mankind. The U.S. has made up its mind to weaponise space by using China and Russia as its excuse, which is completely a false pretext. It is purely seeking excuses to release itself (from its international obligations)." EXTERIOR OF CHINA'S FOREIGN MINISTRY CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG FLYING
- Embargoed: 6th January 2020 09:51
- Keywords: China-U.S. relations defence act 2020 outer space usage space military battle
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BB72VRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: China said on Monday (December 23) it has lodged "stern representations" to the United States after its senate passed the National Defence Authorization Act (NDAA).
Under the bill, the U.S. would work to support the military strength of Taiwan. It also calls for support for Hong Kong's pro-democracy protesters and requires a report on the treatment of the minority Muslim Uighur population in Xinjiang.
The bill will also pave the way for the creation of the "Space Force," the first new branch of the U.S. military in more than 60 years and a top military priority for Trump.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said during a regular news briefing that the U.S. is "continually progressing further into the weaponisation and militarisation of space".
(Production: Fang Nanlin)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None