- Title: Kremlin hopes U.S. sanctions on Nord Stream 2 will not impede construction
- Date: 23rd December 2019
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (FILE) (REUTERS) RED SQUARE AND KREMLIN STAR ON KREMLIN
- Embargoed: 6th January 2020 09:48
- Keywords: Kremlin Nord Stream 2 Peskov Russia
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA AND UNKNOWN LOCATION
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA AND UNKNOWN LOCATION
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BB74WG7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Monday (December 23) that he hoped sanctions introduced by the United States against the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline project would not hinder its construction.
U.S. President Donald Trump signed a bill on Friday that included legislation imposing sanctions on companies laying pipes for Nord Stream 2, which seeks to double gas export capacity along the existing Nord Stream 1 pipeline route to Germany.
Peskov said that it was too early to talk about reciprocal measures against the United States, but added that the sanctions would not go unanswered.
He declined to say when Russia expects the Nord Stream 2 project to be finished and did not provide a timeline for its launch, which had been expected in the first half of 2020.
(Production: Anton Derbenev)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None