- Title: Intense cold wave grips northern India
- Date: 25th December 2019
- Summary: AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA (DECEMBER 25, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE COVERING THEMSELVES IN WOOLENS AND SCARVES IN A MARKET AREA VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WARMING THEIR HANDS IN FIRE BY BURNING WOOD AND CARTONS PEOPLE AT A TEA STALL TEA BEING POURED IN CUPS PEOPLE SIPPING TEA PEOPLE WARMING THEIR HANDS IN FIRE PEOPLE WALKING COVERED IN WOOLENS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) AN AMRITSAR RESIDENT, MANMEET KAUR, SAYING: "It's very cold, there is no sign of sunlight. (REPORTER ASKING: How are you taking care of yourself?) We are staying in as much as we can and wearing as many clothes as we can." GORAKHPUR, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (DECEMBER 25, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF GORAKHPUR RAILWAY STATION VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WARMING THEIR HANDS IN FIRE TEA VENDOR SERVING TEA TEA BOILING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SIPPING ON TEA PEOPLE WARMING THEIR HANDS IN FIRE (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) A GORAKHPUR RESIDENT, HEMANT TRIPATHI, SAYING: "People are holed up in houses. Fog is not that prominent but cold is. We are sipping on tea and getting by." KANPUR, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (DECEMBER 25, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PEOPLE BOWING IN FRONT OF AN IDOL OF A HINDU GODDESS IDOL OF HINDU GODDESS OF WEALTH, LAXMI, COVERED IN WOOLENS FIRE BURNING AS A PRIEST IS SEEN PERFORMING RITUALS IN THE BACKGROUND THE IDOL PRIEST PUTTING BUTTER IN LAMP MILK, DRY FRUITS, AND SWEETS PLACED IN BOWLS AS OFFERING DEVOTEES PRAYING AND SINGING DEVOTIONAL SONGS ANOTHER IDOL COVERED IN WOOLENS PRIEST OFFERING THE GLASS OF MILK, DRY FRUITS, AND SWEETS TO THE IDOLS FIRE BURNING AS AN IDOL COVERED IN WOOLENS IS SEEN IN THE BACKGROUND (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) A PRIEST, ANOOP KAPOOR, SAYING: "We consider and treat Gods like ourselves. We believe that even Gods can feel cold. We are requesting them to impede the cold wave as the normal life is out of gear and poor people are facing problems. We are also giving warm healthy food as ritualistic offering." EXTERIOR OF THE TEMPLE PEOPLE WARMING THEIR HANDS EXTERIOR OF THE TEMPLE
- Embargoed: 8th January 2020 08:48
- Keywords: Delhi Gorakhpur India Punjab cold wave fire fog idols tea temperature dip winter woolens
- Location: AMRITSAR, PUNJAB/ GORAKHPUR, KANPUR, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- City: AMRITSAR, PUNJAB/ GORAKHPUR, KANPUR, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Environment,Temperature
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBH3TCF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As average mercury levels dipped to the lowest in five years for the month, intense cold wave gripped the entire northern India on Wednesday (December 25).
The temperatures in northern Amritsar city, home to Sikhism's holiest shrine, the Golden Temple, dipped to as low as 2 degrees Celsius during night.
People covered themselves in woolens, and were seen warming their hands near fire and sipping tea to keep themselves warm.
The situation in Kanpur city of India's most populous state Uttar Pradesh was not very different as the city griped under the influence of dipping mercury.
Idols of Hindu Gods and Goddesses were covered in woolens and dry fruits and milk constituted the ritualistic offerings. The temple priest said, we treat our gods as we treat ourselves, we think they feel cold as well.
While winter temperatures in South Asia are mild compared to Europe, they can at times prove deadly in India, where thousands of homeless live in shacks without any heating arrangements.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None