- Title: Brazilian comedy group hit by Molotov cocktails after film on 'gay Jesus'
- Date: 25th December 2019
- Summary: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (RECENT - DECEMBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS) STATUE OF JESUS ON THE CROSS
- Embargoed: 8th January 2020 21:52
- Keywords: Brazil Christmas Jesus LGBT Netflix Rio de Janeiro attack media
- Location: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- City: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA005BBH32H3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Molotov cocktails were thrown at the headquarters of Brazilian comedy group Porta dos Fundos in Rio de Janeiro on Christmas Eve (December 24), weeks after the group launched a film on Netflix depicting Jesus as gay.
The group's Christmas special, "The First Temptation of Christ," a 46-minute comedy that portrays Jesus bringing home his presumed boyfriend Orlando to meet the Holy Family, prompted around 2 million people to sign a petition calling on the streaming service to remove the show because it offended Christians.
The sketch group said a security guard managed to contain the fire at its headquarters and no one was hurt.
State police in Rio did not immediately respond to a request for comments. Netflix declined to comment.
Brazil is home to the world's largest Catholic community as well as a fast-expanding evangelical community with increasing political influence.
President Jair Bolsonaro, who has described himself as a "proud" homophobe, once told an interviewer he would rather have a dead son than a gay son. Earlier this year he suspended funding for a series of films, including a handful with LGBT+ themes. The decision was later struck down by a federal court.
(Production: Sergio Queiroz)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None