- Title: Ten-year-old leads climate change fight in Colombia
- Date: 25th December 2019
- Summary: VILLETA, COLOMBIA (RECENT - DECEMBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) TEN-YEAR-OLD CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVIST, FRANCISCO JAVIER VERA, SAYING: "Some senators told me that they want to work with me on the issue of pollution, so I think that is something. Because from there (Senate) we can send a message to Congress, for Senators to promote policies in favour of life, to legislate in favour of life." VERA AND FELLOW PROTESTERS IN PARK TO DEMAND CLIMATE CHANGE ACTION VERA ON LOUDSPEAKER VARIOUS OF VERA AND FRIENDS DURING PROTEST ONLOOKER TAKING PHOTO OF PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) TEN-YEAR-OLD CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVIST, FRANCISCO JAVIER VERA, SAYING: "For me the most important thing is education because it builds values and people start to become aware, to start to care for Planet Earth, for an education that is in the welfare of Planet Earth, so that everyone feels and expresses these feelings to others, and to start a campaign for and a protection of the environment." VERA AND FRIENDS MARCHING DURING PROTEST VERA ON LOUDSPEAKER CHANTING (Spanish) "WE WANT TO CARE FOR THE ENVIRONMENT" VERA AND FRIENDS CHANTING (Spanish) "CLIMATE ACTION NOW" VARIOUS OF VERA AND FRIENDS MARCHING VERA AND FRIENDS CHANTING (Spanish) "GUARDIANS OF LIFE" (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) TEN-YEAR-OLD CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVIST, FRANCISCO JAVIER VERA, SAYING: "We should have the chance of a dignified life on the planet, without having to fight and protest, we deserve this. What I think is that we have interfered with Planet Earth, and we are causing damage." VARIOUS OF VERA IN HIS HOME WITH FRIEND, SHOWING COLLECTION OF PLASTIC WASTE IN A BOTTLE VARIOUS OF VERA AND FRIENDS TAKING PLACARDS AND LEAVING FOR PROTEST
- Embargoed: 8th January 2020 15:16
- Keywords: Colombia Greta Thunberg child climate change environment global warming protest youth activist
- Location: VILLETTA AND BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
- City: VILLETTA AND BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
- Country: Colombia
- Topics: Environment,Editors' Choice,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003BBH2L3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: With a loudspeaker in one hand, ten-year-old Francisco Javier Vera leads about a dozen children in a protest.
As youth mobilise around the world to demand greater action on climate change, Vera is the among the latest child activists to make waves.
Vera heads the Guardians of Life movement, a group that brings together youth to campaign for greater environmental awareness and for real policies to address climate change. Like Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg, the group protests every Friday.
Vera made national headlines in Colombia when the 10-year-old personally took his message to the country's Senate, taking to the microphone alongside lawmakers to call for lawmakers to protect life on the planet.
Millions of young people have filled streets around the world to protest against the threat posed to the planet by rising temperatures.
A United Nations report has warned that "unprecedented" action is needed by 2030 to stave off the disastrous effects of climate change. But the recent COP25 talks in Madrid failed to reach consensus on ramping up efforts to combat global warming.
(Production: Camilo Cohecha)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None