- Title: Romanians remember Revolution victims 30 years on
- Date: 25th December 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MASS AT MEMORIAL, PEOPLE HOLDING ROMANIAN FLAGS MEMORIAL, INSCRIPTION READING (Romanian): "FOR THE HEROES OF THE ROMANIAN REVOLUTION" CROWD STANDING AROUND MONUMENT, SOLDIERS IN UNIFORM
- Embargoed: 8th January 2020 13:01
- Keywords: Nicolae Ceausescu Romanian Revolution anniversary of fall of Communism fall of Communism in Romania victims of Revolution
- Location: BUCHAREST, TIMISOARA AND NEAR TARGOVISTE, ROMANIA
- City: BUCHAREST, TIMISOARA AND NEAR TARGOVISTE, ROMANIA
- Country: Romania
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA002BBH4MKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Romanians have been commemorating the people who died in the country's bloody uprising against communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu 30 years ago in ceremonies around the country over the past week.
Wednesday (December 25) is the 30th anniversary of the execution by firing squad of Ceausescu and his wife Elena at an army base close to the town of Targoviste.
Ceausescu governed Romania with a heavy hand for 24 years, but when protests against the regime broke out in the western city of Timisoara in mid-December 1989, they spread across the country.
After a week of demonstrations, riots and an armed crackdown, the Ceausescus fled Bucharest on December 22.
At a Bucharest cemetery on Saturday (December 21) relatives of those killed in the violence spoke about the people they had lost and expressed anger that other members of the regime had never been punished.
Romania is the only former Communist country from the now defunct Warsaw Pact where the regime was toppled in violence.
The country joined NATO in 2004 and the European Union in 2007, but remains one of Europe's poorest and most corrupt countries.
(Production: Sinisa Dragin, Fedja Grulovic, Lewis Macdonald)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.