- Title: Thai village remembers tsunami that killed 230,000
- Date: 26th December 2019
- Summary: BAN NAM KHEM, PANG-NGA PROVINCE, THAILAND (DECEMBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) RESIDENTS OF BAN NAM KHEM VILLAGE PLACING CANDLES ON BEACH CANDLES PEOPLE LIGHTING CANDLES MAN PRAYING PEOPLE LIGHTING CANDLES CANDLES VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ATTENDING VIGIL PEOPLE STANDING ON BEACH VIE OF HEART SHAPED CANDLE HOLDER / VIGIL ON BEACH
- Embargoed: 9th January 2020 14:58
- Keywords: Anniversary Candle Thailand Tsunami vigil
- Location: BAN NAM KHEM, PANG-NGA PROVINCE, THAILAND
- City: BAN NAM KHEM, PANG-NGA PROVINCE, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBM4G1Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A candlelight vigil was held in the Thai fishing village of Ban Nam Khem on Thursday (December 26) in memory of those killed in a deadly tsunami 15 years ago.
More than 230,000 people along the coasts of countries on the Indian Ocean died on the morning after Christmas Day in 2004 when a 9.1 magnitude quake off northern Sumatra island triggered a tsunami with waves as high as 17.4 meters (57 feet).
At least 1,400 people were killed when waves struck Ban Nam Khem.
In Thailand, where more than 5,300 people were killed, including tourists visiting resort islands in the Andaman Sea, officials held a memorial ceremony and called for more awareness and preparedness for disasters.
(Production: Prapan Chankaew,Juarawee Kittisilpa, Jiraporn Kuhakan, Rosalind Church)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None