- Title: Pakistanis turn to sun, sand for healing
- Date: 26th December 2019
- Summary: KARACHI, PAKISTAN (DECEMBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) 20-YEAR OLD BLINDFOLDED MAN, MEHRBAN ATTARI, BURIED UP TO NECK IN SAND / THREE MEN SITTING NEARBY VARIOUS ATTARI BURIED IN SAND (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) MAN SUFFERING FROM EYE DISEASE, MEHRBAN ATTARI, 20, SAYING: "I have a problem with my eyes. Some people told me to come here during a solar eclipse and do this (bury self in sand) and said they said 'your problem will be solved.'" CHILD BURIED IN SAND (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) FATHER OF A HANDICAPPED BOY, SAIF-UR-REHMAN, SAYING: "He is my son. His name is Faisal. I got him treated by doctors and Hakeemâ€™s (eds. note: refers to astern medicine doctors) but it made no difference. Now, someone told me to take him to a beach and bury him in sand during a solar or a lunar eclipse, God will heal him. So I have come here with the hope that God will heal my child." HANDICAPPED CHILD BURIED IN SAND SAIF-UR-REHMAN COMFORTING HIS SON BURIED IN SAND MEN DIGGING TO GET BOY OUT OF SAND BOY COMING OUT OF SAND
- Embargoed: 9th January 2020 11:57
- Keywords: Pakistan astrology cure sand solar eclipse
- Location: KARACHI, PAKISTAN
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBM22PZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Pakistanis with various ailments and illnesses half-buried themselves in the sand on a Karachi beach on Thursday (December 26) with hopes that the solar eclipse would help them heal.
Mehrban Attari, a 20-year old man who blindfolded himself said he had been suffering from eye problems and took the advice from friends to bury himself in order to be cured.
People from the Middle East across to Asia gazed into the skies to catch a glimpse of the moon covering the sun and creating a ring of fire in a rare annular solar eclipse on Thursday.
In Pakistan the solar eclipse began at 7:30 am (0030 GMT) peaked at 8:37 am (0137 GMT) and went on until 1:06 PM (0606 GMT).
(Production: Akhtar Soomro, Juarawee Kittilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None