- Title: Hong Kong protesters target malls in third day of Christmas protests
- Date: 26th December 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (DECEMBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) RIOT POLICE HOLDING PEPPER SPRAY CAN MAN CARRYING HIS BABY SHOUTING AT RIOT POLICE VARIOUS RIOT POLICE WALKING INSIDE MALL / POLICE POINTING WEAPON PROTESTER GATHERING OUTSIDE COFFEE AND CHANTING (Cantonese) "FIVE DEMANDS, NOT ONE LESS" / CUSTOMER LEAVING PROTESTERS CLAPPING HANDS AS CUSTOMERS LEAVE VARIOUS PROTESTER ARRESTED AND SITTING AT PILLAR NEAR POLICE RIOT POLICE GOING UP ESCALATOR VARIOUS PROTESTERS BEING TAKEN AWAY BY RIOT POLICE RIOT POLICE STANDING AND LOOKING ON VARIOUS RIOT POLICE OUTSIDE MALL AND STANDING WITH SHIELDS POLICE STANDING OUTSIDE MALL
- Embargoed: 9th January 2020 11:43
- Keywords: China Christmas Hong Kong protest shopping mall
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Fundamental Rights/Civil Liberties,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBM27GN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of protesters marched through festive Hong Kong shopping malls on Thursday (December 26), aiming to disrupt business in the Asian financial hub for a third day over the Christmas holidays as riot police stood by to quell unrest.
The "shopping protests" have targeted malls across the Chinese-ruled city since Christmas Eve, turning violent at times with police firing tear gas to disperse demonstrators in bustling commercial areas filled with shoppers and tourists.
Police detained several people at a mall in rural Tai Po, located far north of the city's financial centre. In Mong Kok, some restaurants and stores pulled down their shutters in the malls as protesters, some wearing balaclavas and carrying black flags, marched by.
Protests started in Hong Kong more than six months ago in response to a now-withdrawn bill that would have allowed extraditions to mainland China, where courts are controlled by the Communist Party.
(Production: Joyce Zhou, Ebrahim Harris, Xihao Jiang, Mehmet Emin Caliskan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None